So, my desire to make my own jam has hit home a rather annoying point.
January really isn’t the best time to be trying all this DIY stuff.
Nothing is in season but snow peas.
Making jam in the middle of winter could put us in the poor house.
Thankfully, I had a bag of frozen mixed berries lurking in my deep freeze.
Please don’t ask me how long it’s been there.
Anyhow, the recipe I found was quick, easy and relatively cheap.
Very Berry (and sugar-free!) Jam
1 1/2 c frozen berries
1/4 c apple juice concentrate
1 – 2 tbsp tapioca flour (depending on how thick you like your jam)
* In a food processor, pulse the berries and juice together. Don’t over-blend. Leave some chunks!
* Add berry mix to a small saucepan and sprinkle the tapioca over them. Mix to coat evenly.
* Let sit for a few minutes.
* On medium heat, slowly bring the berries to a boil. Stir constantly until jam has thickened.
* Pour into a clean glass container and enjoy within 2 weeks.
* Makes approximately 1 cup.
I almost threw out this recipe right after making it. I tried the jam while it was still warm and it had this horrible mouth-feel to it. Almost as if it was greasy. I planned on suffering through the failed batch and try another recipe later. Have no fear, however. The strangeness of it goes away as soon as the jam cools completely. Whew!
I couldn’t believe how quick this was to make. 10 minutes, tops. I don’t know that it’s really worth it to make tonnes at a time.
I think this recipe could easily accomodate whatever fruit is in season at the moment. I’m going to try strawberry/rhubarb next.