So, I’m a vegetarian.
This means protein – and finding ways to get enough of it – is important.
Not difficult – just important.
Snacks that are healthy and high in protein are something I’m always looking for.
While I don’t know the exact specs on these little pieces of heaven, I’m pretty sure they’re up there in the protein department.
Chewy Fruit, Nut and Grain Bars
2 c rolled oats
1/4 c slivered almonds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 c hemp seeds
1/4 c dried cherries*
1/4 c dried currants
1/4 c dried cranberries
1/4 c dried blueberries
1/4 c dried apricots
1/2 c water
1/2 c 8-grain cereal (Bulk Barn)
1/2 c honey
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 c almond butter
1 tsp vanilla
* Toast oats, almonds and sesame seeds on a cookie sheet under a broiler until they are lightly browned. Stir often and keep an eye on them as they will burn easily. Set aside.
* Combine dried fruit in a food processor and mince. Don’t over mix as they will go gummy.
* Combine fruit and oat mixes with hemp seeds and mix very well. Use your hands!
* In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in cereal, remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes.
* Add nut butter, honey, salt and vanilla to cereal, return to heat and stir constantly for 7 minutes.
* Combine nut butter mix to oat mix and stir well.
* Line an 9″x7″ glass dish with foil ( and press mixture evenly and firmly.
* Let sit for several hours at room temperature before peeling off the foil and cutting.
* Makes 24 1″x2″ bars.
If you’re looking for a firm, crunchy granola bar, this definitely isn’t the recipe for you.
They are soft and chewy and yummy and shame on you for judging a granola bar on their ability to snap in half.
* Try to get dried fruit that don’t contain extra sugar. It’s nearly impossible in The Bulk Barn, but I still check ingredients anyhow.