So, I, like most humanity, have read the Harry Potter books.
As intriguing as pumpkin pasties, treacle tarts and cockroach clusters sound, I’ve never thought to actually make them.
Butterbeer is another story.
It just sounds warm and cuddly and…well…alcoholic.
I’m not much of a beer drinker, so that held me back slightly, but as someone who has made peanut butter pasta, I figured I’d give it a try.
2 cups beer
2 egg yolks, whisked
7 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salted butter
* In a small saucepan, heat beer until almost boiling.
* Remove from heat and stir in yolks, sugar and nutmeg.
* Return to low heat (so as not to get scrambled eggs) and whisk for 2 minutes.
* Stir in butter and pour into one large or two small mugs.
* Top with a shake of nutmeg and enjoy.
The beer loses its beer-iness, so don’t let your dislike of the beverage keep you away from this confection.
As for the drink itself, it was pretty tasty, but not something I’d make again. I mean, if I’m going to consume all those calories (7 tbsp of sugar!) I’d much rather have hot cocoa.
Butter Rum, on the other hand, is next on my To Try List.