Okay, so this casserole didn’t photograph well – the blue corn tortillas make it look like I’ve burned it to a crisp – but it was awfully tasty.
Crunchy Beany Casserole
3 c cooked beans (I used a mix of pinto, black and navy)
1 purple onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pkg Yves’ Ground Round
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c stock or water
3 c blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
1 cup cheese, grated
Sour cream, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper in oil until onions are translucent.
- Add ground round, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes and stock and simmer 2 minutes.
- Mash 1/2 the beans and place, along with the remaining whole beans in the bottom of an oiled 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- Add onion mix to beans and stir to combine.
- Top with crushed tortilla and back for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of sour cream on top.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Big ol’ giant warning!! Does not keep well. The tortillas go all soggy and gross, so don’t go crazy and triple the recipe.