So, this dish: Don’t do what I did and start this at 6pm.
While fairly simple, it has multiple parts that, when added together, TAKE FOREVER.
We ended up eating at around 9pm. Yikes.
Worth it, though. Mmm.
Bo Peeps Favourite Moussaka
1 1/2 cups cooked beans (I used kidney)
1 large eggplant, sliced 1/4″ thick
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c button mushrooms, sliced
2 cans whole tomatoes, chopped
1 c red wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 1/2 c plain yoghurt
1 1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 c Parmesan
1/2 c bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Sprinkle sliced eggplant with salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse, pat dry, brush with oil and roast until golden. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until golden. Add mushrooms and saute until browned
- Stir in tomato, wine, paste and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes. Sauce should be quite thick.
- Spoon beans into a 3 qt oven-proof dish, top with tomatoes, then eggplant slices.
- Whisk yoghurt, eggs, milk and paprika. Pour over eggplant and let sit 10 minutes.
- Combine Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over egg mixture.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until top is golden.