So, the Social Action Committee at our church is doing a fund raising dinner for HOPE for AIDS in Africa.
I, the token veg*n, got suckered into making veggie lasagna.
Naturally, I decided on the most expensive and time consuming recipe I could find.
But DAMN is it tasty.
I amuse myself with the knowledge that the bottled tomato sauce I used contains red wine. I’m serving alcohol to Baptists. Snerk.
For those interested, here’s the recipe:
Punk Rock Pesto Lasagna
Punk Rock Pesto
½-350g pkg extra firm tofu, drained
2 cups basil leaves
4 – 6 garlic cloves
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup pine nuts
1/3 cup faux parmesan
Cashew Pimento Sauce
1 ½ cup raw cashews
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp soy milk powder
1 purple onion, diced
4 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 eggplant, peeled and thickly sliced
1 lb Punk Rock Pesto
3 cups fresh spinach, steamed, drained and chopped
1 zucchini, shredded
1/2-350g pkg extra firm tofu, drained (optional)
9 lasagne noodles, cooked al dente
1 ½ jars spaghetti sauce
Faux parmesan, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the Punk Rock Pesto, combine all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Set aside.
- To make the Cashew Pimento Sauce, combine all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, mushrooms and pepper until onions are soft and translucent. Set aside.
- Grill eggplant slices on both sides until soft and golden brown. Set aside.
- Combine pesto, spinach, zucchini and tofu.
- Layer a 9”x13” lasagna pan with spaghetti sauce. Add a layer (3) of noodles. Spread a layer of the Cashew Sauce over the top. Cover with ½ the onion mixture. Cover with a layer of the tofu pesto mixture. Add a layer of eggplant slices.
- Repeat above instructions, then layer with more noodles, top with the more Cashew Sauce, cover liberally with spaghetti sauce then sprinkle with lots of parmesan.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
***Just a note: The recipe makes much more pesto than you’ll need. I’ll have to fiddle with it to get it more exact. Anyhow, it just means more pesto for other yummy recipes.